We have two great plant sales this week with a wide variety of vibrant starts for your garden. One in Chicago’s historic Logan Square neighborhood benefiting the Paseo Prairie Garden. The other right here on the farm in Sandwich.
We’ve selected some of the very best varieties that we grow on the farm. These plants are proven to grow well in our climate. On top of that, we’ve chosen a handful of selections from Slow Food’s Ark of Taste. The Ark of Taste recognizes foods with cultural and culinary significance. These plants are endangered so you can help save some of these species and eat great at the same time. All of our plants cost $3.
Read below for more information on each.
Some of the varieties that will be available include,
- Basil, Italian and lemon
- Kale, curly leaved and Italian
- Lettuce, various mixed varieties
- rainbow Swiss chard
- Parsley, curly and Italian flat leaf
- Oregano, Italian
- Thyme, German and lemon
- Cucumber, American slicing, English, and pickling
- Summer squash, yellow crookneck and green zucchini
- Cherry tomatoes, yellow and orange
- Lots of tomatoes including Martha Washington, Abe Lincoln, Early Goliath, Cherokee Purple, Valencia, and Radiator Charlie’s Mortgage Lifter
- Sweet Bell Peppers including green, red, orange, and purple
- Hot Peppers, jalapeño and habanero
There will probably be a few others not listed here too. Come early for the very bests selection but, really, we only sell, grow, and harvest our very best!